Dance Gate Lefkosia Cyprus (DG) is a non-profit organisation that actively promotes and supports the development of dance as a contemporary and interactive art form; working closely within the vision and framework of the European Dancehouse Network. Due to Cyprus’s geopolitical position as a European country on the furthest of South Eastern Europe, as well as Nicosia still remaining the only divided capital of Europe, Dance Gate’s particular vision and aim, is to promote dance and culture at the crossroads of cultures and crossroads between three continents.
Following up from a successful and deeply satisfying project “Dance for ALL” undertaken in 2017, Dance Gate and EVS are continuing their collaboration and offering a unique learning opportunity for 2 or 3 months (negotiable) in Nicosia, Cyprus. Promoting diversity and intercultural dialogue is at the core of the “Dance for ALL 2” project. The objectives reflect that aim, responding to educational, organisational and social needs. By providing skills and competences based learning, the project will influence individual’s employability status, while motivating the volunteer to have initiative and pursue their research. The project aims to increase capacity and recognition of opportunities offered by partner organisations as well as provides a platform to connect more deeply with current audiences and expand this community to involve members of the public, including unprivileged groups and individuals.
• Updating social media platforms
• Updating and managing the Dance Gate website
• Designing posters
• Assisting with and being responsible for editing and writing promotional text
• Digitally archiving documentation of previous performances
• Helping in re –designing and updating current website
• Documenting live performance
• Editing video and sound
• Setting up of technical equipment
• Support technical requirements during live performance / which would demand knowledge of projecting with media player or from the laptop directly via adaptors provided
• Assisting with the running and maintenance of the Dance House Lefkosia building
• Be willing to help the administrative staff, take turns for the weekly opening and locking up the premises/ according to rentals or performances
• Supporting visiting artists
• Assisting in the co-ordination of events both at the Dance House and at different locations throughout Cyprus
• Suggest and be part of a team to brain storm and develop strategies how to fund and develop regular activities at the Dance House Lefkosia for different age groups and diverse communities, supporting audience development and the application of dance / movement in our lives
PROJECT DURATION: 15 SEPTEMBER/ 15 OCTOBER – 15 DECEMBER 2018
DURATION: 2 OR 3 MONTHS (NEGOTIABLE)
The volunteer will be based in Nicosia, Cyprus. This is an EVS project so accommodation, food and travel costs are fully-funded by the EU Commission for European residents aged between 17 and 30.
Applicants should meet the following requirements:
• Proficiency in both spoken and written English
• Highly organised
• Able to multitask
• Able to work in a face paced environment and able to be flexible with a fluid work schedule
• Able to take initiative and work under supervision
• An interest and some previous knowledge of performance / dance/ inter arts and be curious on the history and development of dance as an interactive art form
• An interest in and experience of performance production
• Aptitude in sound and video editing
• Confidence setting up and being responsible for the operating of basic technical equipment for live performances
• An interest in performance production
• Confidence in conducting administrative tasks such as writing emails and updating databases
• Interest in working within the core team of management and production
Please send your CV and motivation letter, relating your experience, interests, motivation and abilities to the described requirements, to email@example.com (cc firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com).
The deadline to apply is Thursday, 30th of August.
Funding for this project has been awarded!